[Supertraining] Re: Strength Training for a 800m runner(In Season)

Thursday 17 January 2008      0 comments

Hey Brian,

I probably misunderstood your program. I see that you're mainly a 400
hurdler. (Too much info, too little time to absorb everything.)

And by the look of those numbers in your workout schedule . . . man,
you'll never run a good 800. You need to lose some muscle! <g>

Keep up the experimentation.

Regards,

Paul Rogers
Gympie, Australia

--- In Supertraining@yahoogroups.com, "itsmeyoungb" <howmanyukno@...>
wrote:
>
> Ok..Let me try to throw my two cents in...
>
> I am a 400/800 type guy. Although it is true that I need a certain
> amount of mileage, too much will kill me results.This summer, I did
> 25 miles a week on the road,and it absolulely was somewhat of a
> detriment to my progress.Although I had better aerobic capacity, I
> had lost a great bit of speed. This was evident as I am a 48 sec
400m
> runner and I could only mustard 53 seconds at the beginning of
> october.I am just now getting my speed back.
>
> Something else to remember is I am still mainly a 400 hurdler. I am
> running the 800 indoors to help the last 200 meters of my race for
> the 400 hurdles. I think Paul understood it as I only run the 800
and
> I am sorry if I was unclear about that. You post is not at all harsh
> as I am learning just as you are.
>
> This situation is difficult for me because my college doesnt not
have
> a coach conditioned in this area of running and lifting and most of
> the athletes have to come up with their own strength and
conditioning
> programs. In my case is could be hit or miss because I never know if
> Im doing the right thing. But In my humble opinion I believe the
> strength I have built up needs to be maintained as last year, I had
a
> training partner who lifting like he ran the 100 meters and he was
> about to run 1:52 for the 800 meters. My genetics and body type may
> be different but what is the point of building great deals of
> strength and power and not using it if can beneficial. The power
lies
> in my situation is to balance the two without much weight gain as I
> am very very prone to weight gain.
>
> Those are just my two cents. Here is my program form the week it
will
> allow everyone to see what I am doing. Heated debate is the only way
> to get to the truth of close to it, so keep everything coming.
>
> Monday January 14th
>
> Hang Clean and Jerk at 140lbs 3 reps and 5 sets
> Back squats x 5 at 275lbs,4 at 280lbs,3 at 285lbs,3 at 290lbs,2 at
> 295lbs.
> Dumbell Bench Press 5 reps x 3 sets with 80lbs dumbells
> Dumbell Lat Row 6 reps x 3 sets with 65lbs dumbells.
>
> Wednesday January 16th
> Power snatch + overhead squat 3reps x 5 sets at 115lbs
> Barbell Bench Press 3reps x 5 sets a 190 lbs
> Good Mornings 5reps x5sets at 150 lbs
> Lat Pull Down 6x4
>
> I know I lift a little heavier than must 800 runners but is just a
> natural things for me. I havent really stopped making progress and I
> am not really gaining weight. So you guys can pick that apart. I
> appreciate the criticism.
>
> Brian.Archield
> Tampa,Florida USA
>
>
> --- In Supertraining@yahoogroups.com, "Nick Tatalias"
> <nick.tatalias@> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Paul
> >
> > Thanks for this post, I guess be specific is the lesson here, I
> take your
> > point. Being some one who only ever sprinted about 60m to score
on
> an
> > interception, I don't always get the middle and long distance
> stuff. Rugby
> > players are very different to this despite needing to sustain high
> intensity
> > sprints for about 90 seconds (probability of scoring peaks at
about
> 90
> > seconds of possession). My coach used to train a top level (South
> African
> > champion standard) boxer also and again we adapted from the
> traditional road
> > training for him to short sprints (50 m) timed for 3 minute round
> with and
> > gym work as the mainstay - of course they went to the boxing
> coaches for
> > technical training. The problem with a sample of one is that the
> athlete may
> > just be a dam good fighter irrespective of what we did, yet when
he
> went to
> > one off to one of the top fight trainers and back to traditional
> road work
> > training he seemed to lack the thrust and power and his career
> tapered
> > off. I was trying to use that experience (learning from other)
and
> apply
> > this to Brian's situation. The problem is always making sure that
> the
> > athlete is progressing optimally and Brian would have to judge
that
> for
> > himself.
> >
> > Best Regards
> > Nick Tatalias
> > Johannesburg
> > South Africa
>

__._,_.___
Modify/cancel your subscription at:

http://groups.yahoo.com/mygroups

Sign all letters with full name & city of residence if you
wish them to be published!

Yahoo! Health

Live Better Longer

Find new ways

to stay healthy.

Drive Traffic

Sponsored Search

can help increase

your site traffic.

Ads on Yahoo!

Learn more now.

Reach customers

searching for you.

.

__,_._,___

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

0 comments: