[Supertraining] Re: Strength Training for a 800m runner(In Season)

Thursday 17 January 2008      0 comments

Ok..Let me try to throw my two cents in...

I am a 400/800 type guy. Although it is true that I need a certain
amount of mileage, too much will kill me results.This summer, I did
25 miles a week on the road,and it absolulely was somewhat of a
detriment to my progress.Although I had better aerobic capacity, I
had lost a great bit of speed. This was evident as I am a 48 sec 400m
runner and I could only mustard 53 seconds at the beginning of
october.I am just now getting my speed back.

Something else to remember is I am still mainly a 400 hurdler. I am
running the 800 indoors to help the last 200 meters of my race for
the 400 hurdles. I think Paul understood it as I only run the 800 and
I am sorry if I was unclear about that. You post is not at all harsh
as I am learning just as you are.

This situation is difficult for me because my college doesnt not have
a coach conditioned in this area of running and lifting and most of
the athletes have to come up with their own strength and conditioning
programs. In my case is could be hit or miss because I never know if
Im doing the right thing. But In my humble opinion I believe the
strength I have built up needs to be maintained as last year, I had a
training partner who lifting like he ran the 100 meters and he was
about to run 1:52 for the 800 meters. My genetics and body type may
be different but what is the point of building great deals of
strength and power and not using it if can beneficial. The power lies
in my situation is to balance the two without much weight gain as I
am very very prone to weight gain.

Those are just my two cents. Here is my program form the week it will
allow everyone to see what I am doing. Heated debate is the only way
to get to the truth of close to it, so keep everything coming.

Monday January 14th

Hang Clean and Jerk at 140lbs 3 reps and 5 sets
Back squats x 5 at 275lbs,4 at 280lbs,3 at 285lbs,3 at 290lbs,2 at
295lbs.
Dumbell Bench Press 5 reps x 3 sets with 80lbs dumbells
Dumbell Lat Row 6 reps x 3 sets with 65lbs dumbells.

Wednesday January 16th
Power snatch + overhead squat 3reps x 5 sets at 115lbs
Barbell Bench Press 3reps x 5 sets a 190 lbs
Good Mornings 5reps x5sets at 150 lbs
Lat Pull Down 6x4

I know I lift a little heavier than must 800 runners but is just a
natural things for me. I havent really stopped making progress and I
am not really gaining weight. So you guys can pick that apart. I
appreciate the criticism.

Brian.Archield
Tampa,Florida USA

--- In Supertraining@yahoogroups.com, "Nick Tatalias"
<nick.tatalias@...> wrote:
>
> Hi Paul
>
> Thanks for this post, I guess be specific is the lesson here, I
take your
> point. Being some one who only ever sprinted about 60m to score on
an
> interception, I don't always get the middle and long distance
stuff. Rugby
> players are very different to this despite needing to sustain high
intensity
> sprints for about 90 seconds (probability of scoring peaks at about
90
> seconds of possession). My coach used to train a top level (South
African
> champion standard) boxer also and again we adapted from the
traditional road
> training for him to short sprints (50 m) timed for 3 minute round
with and
> gym work as the mainstay - of course they went to the boxing
coaches for
> technical training. The problem with a sample of one is that the
athlete may
> just be a dam good fighter irrespective of what we did, yet when he
went to
> one off to one of the top fight trainers and back to traditional
road work
> training he seemed to lack the thrust and power and his career
tapered
> off. I was trying to use that experience (learning from other) and
apply
> this to Brian's situation. The problem is always making sure that
the
> athlete is progressing optimally and Brian would have to judge that
for
> himself.
>
> Best Regards
> Nick Tatalias
> Johannesburg
> South Africa

__._,_.___
Modify/cancel your subscription at:

http://groups.yahoo.com/mygroups

Sign all letters with full name & city of residence if you
wish them to be published!

Yahoo! Health

Live Better Longer

Find new ways

to stay healthy.

Moderator Central

Yahoo! Groups

Join and receive

produce updates.

Need traffic?

Drive customers

With search ads

on Yahoo!

.

__,_._,___

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

0 comments: