Re: [Plagio] SIDS and rented cribs

Thursday 24 January 2008      0 comments

Not to freak anyone out but the risk decreases once they can roll over and again at 6 mo and a yr however the risk is never really nothing, there is even sudden child death syndrome.  That said you can do so much and then you have to be realistic.  Just by not ever having the babya round 2nd hand smoke decreases their risk by like 50%, and nots leeping on their tummy is the other huge factor, the other factors are very small risks.
 
I have other reasons I wouldnt rent, I mean I know they must be new, upkept and safe but I would feel better knowing exactly what I had, brand, where it has been, cleanliness, safety, and even features.  So I personallyw ould want my own baby items.  For a 7 mo old we take a cosleeper (can be used like a pack and play) and a stroller on vacation.  If they cannot crawl (unusual for my 7 mo olds) I would take a walker if I had the space.  If they could crawl I would take duct tape (for babyproofing).  I use the cosleeper for bed and for a safe place to put them if needed.  I use teh stroller for a seat, stroller and high chair (if needed, usually the hotels we stay at have high chiars)

On Jan 23, 2008 1:23 PM, Lisa-Marie DiFonzo Kelley <sscutch@yahoo.com> wrote:

oh god I am totally stressin over this! I did do some reading and it seems to be that there's a small link between the matress and germs that might cause it. I don't know maybe we should just buy a pack and play - I was always afraid of those matresses b/c they seemed to be flimsy and thought he'd be at a higher risk for SIDs in one of those but he's 7 months old- aren't we really out of the danger zone at that point

nwilkens2275 <nwilkens2275@yahoo.com> wrote:

I don't think 5 years would be a problem. People who have more than
2 or 3 kids probably use their crib mattress longer than that. But
definitely read up on it if you're concerned.

--- In Plagiocephaly@yahoogroups.com, Lisa-Marie DiFonzo Kelley
<sscutch@...> wrote:
>
> oh god! I didn't even think of SIDs! Why does it increase? We
don't own a pack and play but maybe we will buy one. The company
said that they matresses and equipment is no older than 5 years old,
but now I am worried.!
>
> nwilkens2275 <nwilkens2275@...> wrote: Lisa-
> How old is your baby? My daughter was 18 months old when we went
to
> the beach and rented the crib from the rental agency, so SIDS
wasn't
> a concern for me. But if you have a little one, you might want to
> listen to Tammy. I hadn't heard what she said about the
mattresses,
> but it is something to consider. Could you take your pack and
play?
> You could probably check that on a plane if you're flying, it's no
> bigger than a set of golf clubs and people travel with those all
the
> time.
> Nicole in Raleigh
> (Mom to Jordan and Jake)
>
> --- In Plagiocephaly@yahoogroups.com, Tammy Sabs <princessluau@>
> wrote:
> >
> > I would be nervous to rent a crib. They say sids increases with
> the amount of children who use a mattress. (Healthychild.org ) I
> would buy a portable crib such as the one that I got at Khols. It
> blows up and has a netting over it so the baby can not get out. It
> is some sort of a travel crib. It comes in a carry case for
> flying. In terms of other equiptment I would look into the
services
> but wash the stuff thoroughly when you get it. I am a germ freak!
> Tammy
> >
> > nwilkens2275 <nwilkens2275@> wrote: I'm not sure about
> those specific companies, but when we went to
> > Hilton Head a couple of years ago, we were able to rent a crib
> > directly from the rental agency that rented out the house. We
just
> > told them we needed one and they had it all set up for us when
we
> > checked in. It was a portacrib, lower to the ground, but it did
> the
> > job. So you might want to look into that as well. Not sure about
> the
> > other items though, but it might be worth checking into.
> >
> > --- In Plagiocephaly@yahoogroups.com, Lisa-Marie DiFonzo Kelley
> > <sscutch@> wrote:
> > >
> > > HI everyone- Has anyone ever used any of the baby equipment
> rental
> > companies to rent baby gear when they have gone on vacation.
We're
> > giong to Naples, FL in a few weeks and are going to need to rent
a
> > crib, and some other items and am wondering if anyone can
> reccomend
> > a company. We read some online reviews ABC baby rentals and the
> > other one is babies away.com
> > > I am wondering if anyone has ever used either of these or can
> > reccommend a good reliable rental company.
> > > LISA , somerville, ma
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > ---------------------------------
> > > Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.
> > >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > ---------------------------------
> > Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with
> Yahoo! Search.
> >
>
>
>
>
>
>
> ---------------------------------
> Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with
Yahoo! Search.
>



Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.




--
ASK ME ABOUT GIRL SCOUT COOKIES!

Brandi SC SAHM to Emily, Rebecca, Sarah and Joey

"Cleaning your house while your kids are still growing is like shoveling the sidewalk before it stops snowing"  Phyllis Diller

www.joeysmanicmelon.blogspot.com
www.midscbwers.blogspot.com

__._,_.___
For more plagio info, go to www.plagiocephaly.org/support
To unsubscribe from this group or to change your mailing options, go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Plagiocephaly/ and click EDIT MY MEMBERSHIP.

*Please note that any advice/comments from this site do not necessarily voice the opinions of the group owner or moderators*

 
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Health

Early Detection

Know the symptoms

of breast cancer.

Meditation and

Lovingkindness

A Yahoo! Group

to share and learn.

Moderator Central

An online resource

for moderators

of Yahoo! Groups.

.

__,_._,___

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

0 comments: